Tips for Showing Your Home –
In the best light!
1) Open every window covering. All drapes, curtains and blinds should be positioned to let in maximum light. Buyers like a house to be “light and bright,” so accommodate them!
2) Turn on as many lights as possible. It makes the home seem bigger and you are more likely to make a good impression!
3) Make sure the house smells good. Avoid pet odors, smoke, or greasy cooking odors. Check the trash. Air out the house just before the scheduled showing if you are concerned, but close the windows (unless it is a perfect day) before they arrive.
4) Declutter! Declutter! If you will be moving soon anyways, get a head start and begin boxing up. Be careful to leave some accessories or the home will look too sterile!
5) Clean. Make sure that everything is spotless. Pay particular attention to the bathrooms and the kitchen. In the bathrooms, towels should be fresh and clean, sinks and baths scrubbed, and the floor freshly cleaned. In the kitchen, make sure all dishes are put away and countertops and sinks cleaned.
6) Check the thermostat to make sure that the house is at a comfortable temperature.
7) Make sure the brochures are available and easily accessible. (The dining room table is an ideal place for them).
8) Give the buyers their space. Always try to leave for the showing…get a coffee, do errands. If this is not possible, make yourself as inconspicuous as possible. If it is comfortable outside, go there until the buyers leave. You would not want to miss an opportunity to show the home especially in this competitive market!
9) Get someone else’s opinion! If you are still unsure how the home will show, ask a friend or your agent to walk through the home to help you with anything you may have missed!
Time invested in preparing your home usually pays off with excellent feedback after showings and hopefully a quick offer!